Thursday, January 14, 2010

Skiing and P90X

Throughout my life I've done everything from field sports like soccer, rugby and football, to extreme sports like rock climbing, kayaking, and skiing. All of which require determination, guts, and physical intensity. Although that seems like some great accomplishment, it doesn't compare to what I'm doing right now: P90X. My toughest days are far from over, they are simply beginning. I received a wonderful taste of this when I decided to go skiing for 6-7 hours after the first week of this program. Two words: Holy Crap.

It wasn't so much that my muscles were literally aching on the day after skiing. That I could handle. It's that my entire body was overall fatigued! It was like downing a Nyquil... at 7 AM! **Wake up, waddle out of bed** "Honey, c'mon let's go to church. You can be the zombie master today since I'm THE ZOMBIE!" (Not to say that Lindsey is ever a zombie when she wakes up ;) ).

Let's go over what I have been doing, workout-wise every week. Keep in mind that this applies for just the first three weeks. For details on the rest of the 90 days, consult your manual (if you have one):

Day 1: Chest and Back - Duration: 1 hour. Equipment: Pullup bar, chair, dumbells, water
Ab Ripper X - Duration: 15 measly minutes (enter favorite two words here, as stated in the first paragraph). Equipment: water

Day 2: Plyometrics (jump training) - Duration: 1 hour. Equipment: WATER, a healthy heart. "This is the X in P90X"

Day 3: Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps - Duration: 1 hour. Equipment: Pullup bar, chair, dumbells, water
Ab Ripper X - Duration: Another 15 minutes. Equipment: water

Day 4: Yoga - Duration: 1.5 hours. Equipment: water, mat (FYI: Yoga may be considered girly in many people's minds, including mine. Funny though that this version didn't seem like it...)

Day 5: Legs and Back - Duration: 1 hour. Equipment: Pullup bar, chair, dumbells, water
Ab Ripper X - Duration: 15 minutes. Equipment: water

Day 6: Kempo - Duration: 1 hour. Equipment: WATER, a healthy heart. (Most entertaining for me since I did the whole martial arts thing when I was younger. But still exhausting)

Day 7: Stretch X or Rest

I'm almost done with the second week, and I can proudly say that the workouts are already easier to do. So far so good... The second month will be much tougher though because it is a new set of more advanced workouts, which are designed to really push my fitness level. In case you didn't know, there is an associated meal plan for each day/week. They give you both specific and vague choices for each meal/snack so you don't get tired of eating the same exact things and be tempted to give up.

Anyway, I'm still skiing kind of regularly, despite my workouts because I just can't stay away from the slopes! Fortunatelly, my body is starting to adjust really well to my daily workouts to the point that skiing doesn't kill me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment