Tuesday, May 4, 2010

PhD, Masters, and Life Decisions

So there have been some major life changing discussions in place recently in our lives. Ivan has applied for a program through Lockheed Martin called ELDP. This program will allow him to learn more about the business processes of Lockheed and will allow him to earn his masters degree in either Technical Management or Systems Engineering (or something like that). Anyway, it is a 3 year commitment. It is actually a 4 year commitment because there is a 1 year requirement to remain with Lockheed after the program. Not that he would leave, but it is just something we are definitely committing too. We only had a short time to consider this, but we decided it would be best for him. Ivan will be able to get his masters without having a 3.0 GPA and without having to take the GRE/GMAT. He submitted his application on Friday and should hear back sometime this month (hopefully). We are praying that God opens these doors if it His will.

I, on the other hand, have some decisions to make myself. I have been considering going back to school and getting my PhD. There is a program that will basically pay a 30K stipend each year. However, with any PhD program, I wouldn't finish until I was 30. That means I could not have kids until I was 30. I really want to teach but to be truthful, I can teach with a masters degree. I just won't have tenure, which is fine for me. I also won't have to do research without a PhD. The thing with getting a PhD is that I would have to get it from Texas A&M (the closest University)... and that is a 1.5 hour commute (which is doable)... HOWEVER, after graduating you have to find a university OTHER than the one you received you phD to teach at. You cannot teach at the same University. Therefore, I would have to move.

I am thinking I am going to try to complete my graduate degree so that I can teach, but I think that it is kind of too late for the PhD. PhD's are really for people who want to get tenure and want to be fully integrated in research (or are practicing medicine in which it is required). Eitherway, it would have been kind of neat. Yet, I do want to have kids. It is just tough because ever since I sat on the stage at my graduation, I always have thought how neat it would be to graduate with my PhD. I guess I just have to really control that voice inside of me which is always pushing to "achieve achieve ACHIEVE".. and direct it toward something else.

So, I am hoping within the next couple years, that both Ivan and I will have our masters degrees. We will see. I feel like I have so many decisions in life... I had to literally make a pro/con table in excel to determine the best route. The fact that I would be 30 on graduation (if I got my doctorate) was kinda the decision maker for that.

Lindsey

7 comments:

  1. Those are some pretty big decisions! Just remember that raising some godly kids is one AMAZING achievement :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want nieces and nephews!!! Other than MY desires, however, I think there are too many cons outweighing the pros. I think you should definitely get your Masters so that you can teach accounting. That would be awesome blossom. I just think that your overall goal for your ENTIRE life has been to raise up a Godly family. If you wait until you're 30, the possibility of that happening is less likely. Everyone has short-term goals, but if they seriously conflict with lifetime goals (having kids), they should be discarded. That is, unless you would rather discard/modify the lifetime goals. Oh well, that is my two cents! We will keep you in prayer. Obviously, whatever is God's will should be done, and I know that God's will is what you two desire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes.. to both Erin and Brittany.. raising kids is definitely an achievement.. :) It is just tough for me because I have this weird drive inside me for educational achievement. (Travis could probably relate to that Britt)... but at the same time.. I have to see that a Masters will pretty much help me achieve the same goals (be able to teach accounting since I LOVE teaching it..).. and it will still allow me to have kids. If I DID wnat to get a PhD.. I could always get one online in Theology from Liberty University (which would not be nearly as strenuous and would serve my other goal of learning more about biblical theology etc). After researching the PhD programs... I just realized that they are REALLY for people who want to teach and do a lot of RESEARCH.. not so much teach. The Masters would probably serve me just fine.. and it quite an accomplishment on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to desiring educational achievement, too, Linz. Think about how hard I worked in college to receive my degree with my GPA. However, I agree that you will still achieve great things with a Masters. In fact, you will achieve more because you will achieve the Masters, ability to teach, and the ability to have kids at a young age. I think that you are leaning toward the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya I worked hard for my GPA too and all the crap I was involved with... I don't know if I want to go through all that again.. but I want to wear the darn hat!!! LOL HAHAHA... Right now I just have to focus on Ivan getting his Masters...which hopefully will happen with Lockheed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Lindsey. It seems like with the master's degree you get to have your cake and eat it to. And if you really wanted to, you could get your PhD after the future little ones were grown. I'll be praying for you. Decisions are never fun to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes Courtney I could do that.. the only bad thing is that I would have to retake the GMAT as it would be older than 5 years.. but I think that is the best option if i REALLY want it.. once my kids are gone it would be more like a hobby anyway.. haha..the PhD is NOT needed for a business career (in ANY field).. it is ONLY needed if you want to teach.. so it is not like it is holding back my current career in any way.

    ReplyDelete