Thursday, April 21, 2011

Yum Yum Yum....

For those of you following my blog, you know by now that I have been cooking some recipes from Capitol Hill Cooks. I made two recipes lately.... one that wasn't that great, and one that was amazing.

So... I know you are on the edge of your seat because this is soooo exciting :) hah.. ok I know I know.. its not that excited. Anyway, here are the recipes:

1) Spinach Souffle- Senator Jeanne Shaheen

This recipe was interesting. I thought it would be something interesting to try. Sadly, after making it, I still do not like souffle. I have now tried chocolate souffle (from Mortons) and spinach souffle and I just do not like it. There is something about the texture of souffle that just doesn't sit right with me. However, Ivan loved it! He ended up eating the rest of it. I still don't think we will make it again though.


2) Grandma's Cabernet Risotto-Representative Mike Thompson
Ok.... I am such a bad blogger because I forgot to take a picture of this *gasp*! Anyway, it really wasn't the prettiest dish. I am a major fan of risotto. It takes awhile to cook but it is so good. Anyway, so far I have made mushroom risotto twice. It was very good, but I was very excited to try something new. Basically, this dish "looked" weird because the cabernet turned the rice a purple-ish color. It was pretty ackward looking. However... *drumroll please*.... it was amazing!!! This dish I will make again and again and again...Ivan had to hold me back from eating all of it! Ivan (of course) loved it too! This recipe had sundried tomatoes, wine, and parmesan cheese. The tangy taste of the cheese plus the richness of the cabernet just made this recipe divine! We ate it with a NY strip steak. It was one of the best recipes I have made so far from this book.


So.... here comes the "bad" news regarding the cooking. I love to cook, and I love cooking recipes from this book. However, most of the recipes are not what you would call "healthy". Butter and heavy whipping cream are two ingredients that are common throughout. Additionally, there are so many dessert & carb recipes in this book that I really want to make. Anyway, due to a recent weight increase *cough*.... I will be putting a hold on the cooking.  I lost a lot of weight back in November and it stopped after the holiday. I need to get back on track with it. Therefore, if I make any recipes from the book it will only be one a week. The remaining recipes will be boring chicken and veggies (which are not worth blogging about). :)

Stay tuned for two more blogs coming your way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment