Monday, September 5, 2011

My New Casual Fall Centerpiece

So,  I wonder how many of you are familiar with Pinterest. If you are not, you definitely should familiarize yourself (or maybe not if you don't want to waste hours of your day looking through pictures of stuff you "want").. hah! Anyway, I got an account a little over a month ago and I love it. I have been storing awesome ideas for holiday decorations on there. Anyway, I had seen this centerpiece on Pinterest. I don't think I pinned it because my computer crashed and I forgot. I did remember it though. Here is the picture:

I figured this would be a really simple project for me to recreate. So, I went to Hobby Lobby :) and HEB (great stores start with an "H"... lol).  Anyway,  it seems I lost the receipt or threw it away... but the approximate cost of this project was the following:
        • Hobby Lobby three glass vases (I wanted three of the same size). Originally they were $7.99, but all glassware was 50% off. So before tax the total was $11.99
        • The candles were 50% off at Hobby Lobby too. They came in packs of 2 so I had to buy two. They were $4.99, but 50% off. So two packs costs me $4.99.
        • I got candy corn from HEB... each pack was like $1.50 approximately. I needed 4 packs. So it was about $6. 
        • The total for this project (before tax) was: $23
Therefore, this was a very cheap centerpiece and it looks amazing (in my opinion of course). Here are some "in progress" photos. First, I unwrapped the jars and removed the stickers with goo gone. Then, I washed them with dish soap and dried them thoroughly (do not skip this step or your jars will not look clean when you light the candles):


Then I put the candles in the jars and added candy. Make sure that your candles are centered because it be very difficult to move them once the candy is there. The candy secures the candles in place.




and.... Voila! Looks pretty similar right? I am totally in love with it. Additionally, the candies are very difficult to get out with your hand because the candle and the jar block the way. Therefore, you won't be tempted to eat them. :)


Have you made any fun holiday crafts/centerpieces lately? Share your ideas..!

1 comment: