Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cruisin... and Singin...



This January we went on a cruise with the Portugals. We planned this cruise a long time ago. It was great that it finally had arrived. Our cruise was 5 days long on the Allure of the Seas. The Allure of the Seas is the largest ship in the world. It is only 2 inches bigger than its sister ship, the Oasis of the Seas.  It sailed from January 3rd to January 8th.  The last time we had been on a cruise was in June 2008 (for our honeymoon!). We had two stops on the cruise: 1 in Jamaica, and 1 in Haiti.

We definitely had a great time. The first day we drove to Ft. Lauderdale. Since we had a suite we got to be in the expedited line to get through all the lines. It was great! I was really excited to use my camera for the first time on the cruise. I definitely played around with it a bit.

I was debating whether I should order this blog post in consecutive order or by topic. I think that by topic will work best, so bear with me as I jump around.

Here are some pictures of our room, the ship, and just our first day. There was a zipline on the cruise that Andre had to try out immediately.. haha! I used my new camera to capture some/most of these pictures (oh ya, btw I am going to scatter random pictures throughout):










There were a ton of different shows on this cruise. We went to all of them (for the most part). They had a Broadway quality performance of Chicago which was phenomenal. When I say Broadway quality I mean it…. It was fabulous! There was a show called Blue Planet as well, that was good. It was very abstract. My favorite show though was the Oceanaria! It was in the Aqua Theatre outside. Basically it was a diving show. One diver dove one after another into a pool. At the very end of the show they had these high divers. I can’t even explain how high these divers jumped from. It literally scared me to death. I wonder how many people pee their pants when they see that! Haha! I am pretty sure the divers say their prayers right before they jump! Anyway, it was definitely jaw dropping.


We saw a few smaller performances in the ice theatre. Ya, that’s right they had an ice rink! Did we go ice skating… you bet we…didn’t hahah!! Got ya there didn’t I? Anyway, you had to wear helmets the entire time, and since.. well I don’t want to get lice… I said “no thanks”. There was this one show in the ice theatre called the Quest (they put the cover on the ice for this so that it became a normal floor). I didn’t really want to go to this  show but Ivan pushed me. Boy am I glad I did!!!! This show was HILARIOUS … Basically it worked like this, the cruise director stood in the middle of the rink. Teams of two (audience members) stood around the perimeter of the rink. The audience was around the rink. Your team representatives were the two individuals on the rink in front of where you were sitting. The cruise director would then call out random items like “I need, your team number… and…. Piece of fruit!”. Then people from the audience would help out. People were handing their team reps their fruit from their pina coladas and daiquiris. You had to be creative! Then came the PG-13 stuff. This just made the game even funnier. The cruise director said “I need your team number and….two women’s bras…not being worn”. You wouldn’t believe how fast women from the audience got their bras off from under their dresses, shirts etc. We also had some other shockers such as, a man wearing womens lipstick, something fake, a piercing not in your ears, etc. The piercing one was really funny because on our team one girl was being pressured by her family to go.. and she kept running halfway down the stair and then turning back. She finally went down there and we all found out why she was hesitant. She was wearing a dress… and she had a belly button piercing. She covered her panties with her hand and lifted her dress to show the piercing.. now that is dedication to your team! I couldn’t believe it. But, if you can believe it.. that was not the biggest shocker. The biggest one was when he said… “I need your team number and two guys pants …not being worn”. Guys ran up to the cruise director and dropped their pants faster than you could say “ wowIdidntwanttoseethat”. Then he made them all stand in a line. However, the cruise director couldn’t help notice one guy standing there with his team number card being held strategically over his “Princess Sophia”. Anyway, the cruise director was like “no no no….  put your pants back on!”. This guy had gone commando!!!!!! Then the cruise director’s assistant told the audience that she thought it was only fair that if the guys had to stand up there with their pants down, then he should have to as well. So, down went the cruise director’s pants! It was hilarious! The whole audience was cracking up!






So now lets move on to shore excursions… (I thought about saying “now on with the show..” but ya decided I would spare you from my corniness). In Jamaica, we had paid for a horseback riding excursion. We took a bus to the horse area. Now, this was not just a normal horseback riding excursion… this was a horseback ride and swim! The first part of our adventure was a nature trail. To my dismay, they required us to wear helmets. I had ridden horses quite a few times and I was not looking forward to the helmet. As you can assume based on my comment above… I was praying asking God that I would not get lice!... eesh. I was super nervous. I will have to say though, it was a good thing they require helmets. About 5 minutes into the ride, this poor little Asian women fell off her horse!!! She was trying to get a pictures.. and well didn’t “hang on”. I can understand her difficulty though. These weren’t western saddles and they didn’t have horns on them to hold on to. Anyway, the nature trail was not why we bought this excursion.  After we got off the horses, we all changed into our bathing suits. The we mounted the horses again. These were different horse which special saddles (they basically were just mats on the back of a horse with a strap to hold on to. Then into the ocean we went. Basically the horses ran in the ocean with us on their backs. It was so neat! The water came up to the horses’ necks. We were about waist deep in the water. It was such a unique experience. Sadly, I don’t have any pictures because 1) I was not going to risk my camera in the water, and 2) the pictures the excursion staff took were not good enough to purchase.


Our second stop was in Labadee, Haiti. We didn’t do any shore excursions at this location because none of them seemed interesting. Royal Caribbean has a special beach here just for cruise guests. It was pretty nice. We laid out on the beach and just chilled. Nothing more than that… it was nice. Clearly we took a lot of pictures!












One of my favorite activities on the cruise was (as it always is) karaoke! We went to karaoke every night. I even built up a mini fan group. It was funny when people would walk by and be like “there is the singer from last night”. One guy actually came to every karaoke and even offered to buy Ivan and me drinks.  One of my favorite karaoke nights was when they had a live band instead of just a karaoke machine. I may post some videos of that on here later.


Well that was pretty much the cruise!! It was super fun and a great little “break”. 

3 comments:

  1. You look great and it looks like you guys had such a great time!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that one photo of you standing in your swim suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun trip! That close-up of you in the polka dot shirt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete