Friday, February 3, 2012

Butter Chicken... YUM... (Paula Deen Style)

Last week, I decided to try my hand at Indian food. Ivan and I LOVE Indian food but we haven’t had much since I found out I was gluten intolerant. Anyway, I did find out that the restaurant Korma Sutra in downtown Houston caters to people with gluten intolerance… so I will have to try it out.

My first attempt was butter chicken. I got a recipe online and figured it seemed easy enough. Basically it is a lot or pureed stuff, basically pureed onion, pistachios, almonds, garlic, ginger, and some spices. After I had the sauce “ready”, I decided to taste it before adding the chicken (why waste perfectly good chicken if the sauce turned out bad, right?!).  The sauce was… um.. not that great. It was VERY onion/ginger-y. I figured it would be due to the fact that there were two small onions pureed into the sauce. At first, I was thinking that I didn’t cook the sauce long enough (we all know how bitter raw onion can be). However, when I looked at the recipe, I had actually cooked it for longer than it called for. After all of this, I put on my Paula Deen hat and decided to add some more butter. The recipe called for one stick of butter and two onions.  I ended up adding two more sticks of butter (for a total of 3 sticks). I know.. sounds extreme right? Well, it ended up tasting EXACTLY like butter chicken from a restaurant! I am now curious to find out if maybe the recipe I pulled off the internet was a “diet” version.  Either way, our full and fattening version was delicious! It made multiple meals for Ivan and me. I am definitely up for trying my hand at some other recipes. I also will be making butter chicken again.




Just remember… if you try butter chicken and it doesn’t taste quite right… just follow Paula Deens advice… butter does make everything better haha!

Have you ever made any Indian food? Have you ever made anything that just needed some extra butter to make it amazing!?

Feel welcome to leave comments... and don't forget to follow "Portugal Ponderings" (See the follow button on the left"

1 comment:

  1. So you are saying that there were 2400 calories worth of butter in the recipe? I sure hope that it made SEVERAL servings. LOL

    ReplyDelete