Tuesday, February 21, 2012

KPMG, Nabors, and Stress

Well it has been a month.... since... I started my new job. I work now for a oilfield services company called Nabors. I basically am a senior accountant there.

It was a really tough decision to leave KPMG, for a couple of reasons:

1) KPMG was my first job out of college
I had friends at a KPMG... I knew the system. I knew how everything worked at KPMG. It was familiar to say the least. Although we all worked a lot of hours (some more than others), it somehow brought us together. 

2) I left right before busy season
This decision left a huge knot in my stomach. I felt like I was abandoning my team (which I was). As much as I didn't want to leave at that time, you can't really delay an offer letter for 2-3 months. It was seriously tough. I really liked my manager at KPMG (Ryan). I also didn't want to abandon my awesome staff (Patrick). 

All of this made leaving a very hard decision. I typically am a loyal person (not to mention I don't handle change very well)...and I just felt bad doing that. However, I had to put myself in a less stressful position. As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Graves disease about 6 months ago, and I am constantly battling it. Relieving some stress is a necessity when it concerns healing. 

I can't say my life is stress free, but I am doing better. Getting off around 5 or 5:30 is helpful; the commute is also a lot shorter. I have finally decided to also get some help around the house with cleaning. We now have a cleaning lady who comes every other week. It takes such a burden off of me. It is really hard to work all week, and then clean the house on the weekend. Cleaning my house is a full day job, and it leaves no time for anything else. I have already seen a GREAT stress reduction from this. There is something great about having a clean kitchen and bathroom!

Anyway, I just figured I would give you a quick update on my life and everything going on. I hope I didn't bore you too much. :) Please leave a comment.. I would love to know who is reading!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are a very wise person. Keep the stress under control. The both of you are doing great and I am so proud of you both.

    ReplyDelete