Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Makeup Station.... My creation, inspired by Pinterest!

Ok, so I mentioned in my previous post that I was shopping at IKEA for a shelf. I know that sound boring, but it is so much MORE than a shelf, which you will soon see. I have been pinning a lot on pinterest lately (I mean… who hasn’t?). I saw this GREAT idea for a makeup station. I wasn’t extremely thrilled with how it looked, but I figured I could alter it. You can see the original pinterest item here. Here is a picture of it.


Basically the girl attached some legs to a shelf from IKEA (found here) and “voila” a makeup station. She used different acrylic containers as drawers. 

I found the shelf, and was pleasantly surprised that it also came in black!  Since IKEA designed the shelf to be hung with brackets (and not attached to legs and used as a table as was done in the pinterest version), I decided to hang it. I just hung it low (like table height).  I also purchased a chair (at IKEA). I love how affordable chairs are at IKEA haha! 

After this, I went shopping at the container store for some acrylic cases. There were so many different styles that it was almost impossible to choose. I picked out some of the items I thought would work best and went from there.

Lastly, I knew that I needed some form of light. I always get up earlier than Ivan and since the station isn’t in the bathroom, I needed to find a light that wouldn’t cause shadow and wouldn’t light up the entire room.  I found a great backlit mirror at Bed Bath and Beyond which has worked perfectly!!





This one is blurry, but at least you can see where the shelf is placed in respect to the room. 

 


So what do you think? I am in love with it. It looks great, and provides an easy way to put on my makeup. I love that all my makeup is visible and so easy to put away. Before this, I kept all my makeup in a big case that I left on the bathroom counter. Problem is, it took up so much space, was hard to see everything, and was heavy. This solved my problem…and now I don’t know what to do with all this extra free bathroom counter!

Have you made anything from Pinterest? How did it turn out?

P.S. Don't forget to become a follower of Portugal Ponderings...click "follow" on the left side bar. :)

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get the acrylic cases from? All the ones i have seen are too tall or too long to go under the glass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the acrylic cases at the container stores. But I have heard that the acrylic bead holders at a craft store also work well.

      Delete