Sunday, March 18, 2012

Easter Decor and How to Blow out an Egg

Since Easter is almost upon us, I think it is time to share some of my Easter decor... and a tutorial! Yay! I have seen some interesting egg inspired decorations on Pinterest lately and I decided to try my hand at making some of my own. I knew I needed to learn out to blow out an egg first. Basically there are multiple different methods online that you can find. I pretty much tried them all. I can tell you which ones worked best and which ones didn’t:


1) First, I tried blowing them out with my mouth. One website said to poke a hole in the top and bottom of the egg with a pin, and them put your mouth on one end a blow. I could NOT get this to work. I just looked like an idiot trying. Some egg came out , but at the rate I was going, It would have taken me a whole day to blow out one egg. This was not the method for me. I also didn’t like the fact that the egg had a hole on the top and bottom. This would be almost impossible to hide in an apothecary jar.



2) I tried using a medicine syringe (like this) to suck/blow the egg out. I tried putting a hole in the bottom and on the side. This worked a little bit better, but it wasn't moving fast enough.  
3) The third thing I tried worked out well! I poked one hole in the side, but made it rather big (I needed a bigger hole if I was only going to poke one hole). I only wanted a hole in the side that way I could just lay the egg on the hole in the apothecary jar and you would never see it! Then I got one of those baby booger suckers and sucked the egg out. Ya, I am sure there is a more technical name for that device but whatever! You ALL know what I mean! It worked REALLY well. It took a few minutes of course, but was a lot faster than the other methods. After I got the egg sucked out, I filled the sucker device with water and injected it back into the egg. Then I sucked the water back out. I repeated this until the egg was “clean” inside (or so I thought, but we will get to that later).




It definitely was a slow process but it eventually worked. One thing I always made sure I did was to use a long pin to make the hole. This way, you can stick the pin in the egg, move it around, shake it, and basically scramble the egg before you start sucking the inside out. If you don’t do this step first, it will be pretty difficult to get the yolk out.

After I cleaned the eggs out, it was time to dye them. I knew I wanted some pink, white, and brown eggs. Since eggs are naturally occurring in white and brown, I only needed to make some pink ones. I used this neon pink dye from Kroger.

 I actually tested out two different methods. First, I tried the red dye from Kroger ( I did not use vinegar as I wanted the eggs to stay hard so that they wouldn’t crack any more). The red dye did not work. It barely stuck to the egg. I pulled it out after a minute or so and it was not even colored. I then tried the pink neon (that I mentioned above). I did not want “neon” pink so I just dunked the eggs until they were the right shade. The pink worked like a charm. I only had to dunk the egg around 5-7 times before they were a light pink color. I love how they turned out. This is how it worked out.

Now, I need to mention this in case you want to try to replicate this. You NEED to wash the eggs out. Put a drop of soap inside the eggs, or rinse the inside with vinegar before you dye them. A week after I created this, the eggs started to smell. Now, the smell was trapped inside the jar, but they did smell (and I dumped the whole thing). Therefore, make sure you take the extra step and REALLY clean them out. Also, do not stick the eggs in a place that is well lit with sunlight. It WILL bleach them out. So, I would suggest you either dye the a bit darker, or just put them in a room where they aren't being touched by direct sunlight. 

So what do you think? Have you ever tried to blow out an egg? Do you have  a method that works well?

Here is another Easter idea. These are the same jars that I used for my candy corn, sweet heart candy, and now jelly beans. 

Here is my Easter wreath! I had it last year, but I love it so much I figured I would display it again. :)
Do you have any Easter decor? Comment below!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed with your eggs. I tried the pin method last year and it was a disaster so I gave up. Yours look great though! Cute Easter decorations! With everything going on in the Hawley house this year, Easter is still up in boxes :-/ I'll decorate next year lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those eggs look like giant Jordan almonds. Mmmm...Jordan almonds...

    ReplyDelete