Friday, April 25, 2014

Noelle update - 4 months of life!

It has been awhile since I have blogged. Needless to say, I have been so busy. I completely underestimated the amount of time it takes to take care of a newborn. It is constant. I barely have time to take a shower in the morning! Anyway, I figured I should document some of the difficulties of these first few months so that I remember them in the future.

The first two weeks of Noelle's life were not SUPER difficult. She slept a lot like a typical newborn. She also went back to sleep in the middle of the night fairly easily. I could transfer her from my arms to her cosleeper without much effort. It also was great because my parents were at my house. They helped with meals, and cleaning etc. I honestly didn't have to worry about much other than taking care of Noelle. My mom even did 90% of the diaper changes.





Around week 3, Noelle started showing signs of colic. She would cry for hours and there was no way to console her. To make matters worse, she had a frenotomy (tongue tie correction) at around 4 weeks and then had trouble latching. We still had issues with latching for weeks, and we went to speech therapy until she was almost 3 months.

At 8 weeks, Noelle had gained 5lbs since birth (she is a little chunk). She had good days and bad days. At this point she still wanted to be held throughout naps, and if she wasn't held, she would wake up.


Around the 3 month mark, we were dealing with a possible UTI. We discovered that she was crying as she was peeing. We took her to the doctor and had a pee bag done, the test came back positive so we needed to do a catheter. That was a HORRIFIC experience. It took the doctor like 3 times to get the cath in and she was screaming. I felt so bad. The culture from the cath urine came back clean. However, we had her on antibiotics anyway... just to be sure. Then we took her to a pediatric urologist to do a follow up. They did the bag pee again, and the culture came back negative again. So, we are unsure if she really had a UTI or not. I will say that around 3 months, she became a completely different baby, and she has continued to improve!






One change that we did was we switched temporarily from cloth diapers to Huggies. This way she would not feel the moisture from the pee. Although, I wanted to do cloth diapers, I will say that the convenience of Huggies was definitely addicting! We did Huggies for about a month. She really had gotten so much better. At one point she was sleeping around 9 hours and then an additional 2-3 after nursing. Then, she went through a slight 4 month sleep regression. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. She would way up at a 1am to nurse and then 5am to nurse. So instead of one nursing, she did two. However, she is already back to one nursing a night again. When she started nursing at 1am, it wasn't a huge problem because I was already waking myself up in the middle of the night to pump.

We are now back into cloth diapers and they seem to be going fine! Fingers crossed! She still doesn't nap well. Literally her naps are 45 mins long (you can set your watch to it). Around the 3 month mark we started doing a bit of sleep training. I would put her in her crib for about 1 minute and she would whine/cry. I would then go pat her back. Then I would let her cry for 5 mins, and then go pat her (and on and on). However, I never had to go to the 10 min mark because she always went to sleep after the 5 min patting. It has been a good compromise for us. Noelle rarely ever would take a nap without crying a bit (even if she is in my arms), it is as if she has to get out that last bit of energy.

She is also pretty mobile now, she rolls from back to front and front to back, although when she gets frustrated she sometimes forgets how to do it and I have to turn her haha!

Overall, I will say that I do love being a mom. It has been quite an adventure. I am very tired even with getting enough sleep at night. It is all worth it though seeing her little smiling face :) She is such a little cutie!

Ok that is enough for one blog post, I need to remember to update you all more often. Now that Noelle actually is more content, it is a bit easier for me to sit down and write.



1 comment: